July 12, 2009

Cooking with Cast Iron

As much as I love to cook, I have mostly preferred to use non-stick cookware. My ideal ware of choice would be Indalium - an aluminum alloy, which my mother uses. Since it is hard to find in the US, I have been happy with non-stick pans, like Calphalon. However, giving in to peer pressure, I picked up a cast iron skillet at a local thrift store yesterday for 15 bucks. This pan was made in Korea, had been well used and seasoned. I sauteed yellow beans from the farmer's market with my usual spices last night. Though I did not pick up any unique differences in using cast-iron, the heating may be faster. Anyways, we had the yellow beans with Chapathi, pickle and a creamy cauliflower-tofu curry.

1 comment:

  1. I would guess the difference with cast iron cooking would be the nature of cast iron to retain heat for a longer period. Dunnow if that industrial property continues into cast iron cookware too and if it helps in the cooking part...but am sure it does in the serving part!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments, we appreciate them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...