February 16, 2010

Prata - Singapore Style!

One of the dishes on SE Asia night was the Roti Prata. It is adapted from the South Indian Parota. Watching the dough get kneaded by my Kitchen Aid stand mixer for this dish was pure pleasure! And I am so glad my life is a lot easier with my kitchen appliances.

Basically I added 2 cups of flour in the mixer bowl, a pinch of baking soda, a 1/4 tsp of salt, 1/4 cup of ghee and started kneading. As the dough got crumbly, I added a little bit of milk to bring in to the doughy stage, then let the machine knead for about 8 minutes. Then I let it stand for a couple of hours.

For making the roti, I followed ChefinYou's method of basically taking a small portion of the dough (I made 8 rotis with 2 cups of flour), flattening it a little, roll it out, then pleated it, then folded the dough in a spiral. Again flatten the dough and roll it into desired size. Check out her site for detailed instructions on the rolling. The roti was cooked on my cast iron girdle to perfection. The roti came out really well, except that I had exactly one piece for each person. Wish I had the time to have made more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments, we appreciate them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...