April 20, 2010

Mango & Banana Bake from Guyana

Here is yet another simple and hearty dessert recipe inspired from Global Vegetarian Cooking by Troth Wells. Looks like before I finish this Cooking the World Challenge, I would end up trying all the recipes from this book! I had one mango left from last week and 3 bananas that were begging to be used soon and hence this wonderful dessert from Guyana. I feel guilty in indulging when Shankar is away during the week, but who can resist the temptations of a banana+mango combo?


Heat the oven to 400F. In a small buttered baking dish, add some sliced bananas, followed by a layer of sliced mangoes. A mandolin slicer was very handy with the mangoes. Add another layer of sliced bananas. Sprinkle the juice of a small lime or lemon. I also added abut two tbsp of Ginger Cognac (The original called for a little rum). Sprinkle generously with sugar (Demerara if you have some ~ thats from Guyana) and a pinch of cinnamon and cardamom. A  few nuts (toasted almonds) on top made it even better. Bake for about 20 minutes. And I served it with yummy banana mango yogurt. The dessert was heavenly :)


I am sending this dish to Anupama's Mango Moods!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments, we appreciate them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...