April 14, 2010

Daring Bakers Challenge (March 2010): Orange Tian

For the first time, I participated in the Daring Bakers challenge in March. And that was from St. Louis! It was a big deal since Shankar's kitchen is the most basic, with only the stuff that comes with a corporate rental. Hence, I had to buy even the cookie cutters and a blender for this challenge. Anyways, coming to the challenge, I really didn't have the patience to work on this recipe over a few days, and did everything on the same day. I have to say the Orange Tian turned out great!

The 2010 March Daring Baker’s challenge was hosted by Jennifer of Chocolate Shavings. She chose Orange Tian as the challenge for this month, a dessert based on a recipe from Alain Ducasse’s Cooking School in Paris. As the recipe is posted in detail on the Daring Bakers website, I am not repeating it here. Please click here for the recipe: Orange Tian

As I was making it only for the two of us, I reduced the quantity, mostly by ball-parking it. I started with the orange marmalade. It turned out really good and the Pate Sablee was so rich, we had to try hard to not just eat them together. 


And as a vegetarian, I couldn't use gelatin for the whipped cream and hence substituted with agar. I also added quite a bit of Cointreau (orange liqueur) when whipping the cream and also soaked the orange slices in a mixture of orange juice + cointreau.  


After freezing the assembled Tian for about 20 minutes, we were gonna share just one, but couldn't hold off of pulling out another too! Though the dessert seemed really hard from all the detailed instructions and the idea of doing it over multiple days seemed tedious, but I am actually glad I did it and the end product was awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments, we appreciate them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...