April 11, 2010

Mango & Cardamom Dutch Baby Pancake

For today's brunch, I made a Dutch Baby Pancake in the cast-iron pan I bought yesterday. And I am sending this to Nupur's Blog Bites #2 - The Copycat Edition. I had this version of a pancake for the first time at Victorian Swan Bed & Breakfast at Stevens Point, when I went there to visit with a candidate who was interviewing for a position at UWSP. It was wonderful, a single portion, and was filled with softened apple slices. Though I have been meaning to make it, I didn't have a cast-iron pan small enough to make it for just the two of us. And the pan I bought yesterday was perfect for this. The recipe for the pancake was from Orangette and I really liked that her recipe was simple and easy to reduce by half. I did modify the recipe a little bit and cut down on the amount of butter. 



I whisked together two eggs, 1/4 cup of flour, 1/4 cup of milk and a few tablespoons of mango juice. I also added a pinch of cardamom to the batter. On the heated cast-iron pan, I melted a teaspoon of butter, added the batter and let it cook in a pre-heated 425F oven for 20 minutes. The baby pancake was lovely with the wonderful aroma of cardamom when it came out of the oven. For the topping I sautéed one small diced mango with a pinch of cardamom, a spoon of ginger honey, a handful of toasted slivered almonds and a couple of tablespoons of mango juice. Sprinkled some powdered sugar for the finish and it was yummy!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for a fantastic entry- this would make brunch so special, and I love the mango/cardamom version of a traditional apple dish.

    This kind of cast iron pan is on my to-buy list too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nupur! Cast-iron pans are good ~ I started using them only last year and love them. Its easy to get them used at GoodWill.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments, we appreciate them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...