This morning I gave a private cooking lesson to a friend in Madison. She wanted to learn how to make stuffed parathas and egg curry. We made Cauliflower (gobi) paratha and here is my recipe!
Make the dough first and let it rest.
Wheat flour - 1 cup (Atta from Indian store - a more finely milled wheat flour)
Oil - 1 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Water - as needed
To prepare the dough - mix all the above ingredients, adding water as needed and knead to a dough.
Cover and keep it aside for 15 minutes.
Cauliflower - grated - 1 cup
Onion (small)- 1/2 finely chopped
Green chillies - 2 finely chopped - hot variety
Ginger (grated) - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Jeera/Cumin Powder - 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/4 tsp
- Heat a tsp of oil in a saute pan, temper the cumin.
- Add Onions, green chilies, ginger and saute for a couple of minutes
- Add the Shredded cauliflower and the spices and cook till the mixture is dry.
- You can also heat this in a microwave (dries the mixture more easily than stove top)
Rolling pin and board
Pan to fry
- Make two small lime sized balls from the dough. Roll them out into small roti. Dust with wheat flour as needed
- Place one tbsp of stuffing on the top of a rolled out roti and spread it.
- Then keep another rolled out roti on top of it and remove air pockets and seal the corners by pressing it lightly.
- Now roll it out with the stuffing inside gently.
- Heat a pan and put the rolled out paratha on it. Apply butter as needed. Cook both sides well till brown spots appear.