January 28, 2011

Bolivian Peanut Soup

I made this soup for my first ever Soup Swap, hosted by Nupur of One Hot Stove. I made it at home in WI and froze it before taking it all the way to St. Louis for the soup swap. The recipe is adapted from soupsong, one of my favorite go to sites for soups from different countries. My inspiration behind this soup are two fold: ~ I wanted to make something that can freeze well and yet be filling. ~ The soup has to puree well, and yet doesn't need cream to be creamy! This is a scaled up recipe for 8 single servings (2 cups each). The prep time was about 10 minutes with another 20-25 for cooking.

Ingredients: 4 medium to large Yukon gold potatoes - diced; 2 carrots - diced; one red onion - chopped coarsely; 1/2 cup tomato puree, 1 cup peanuts - diced, raw preferred; 2-3 cups of vegetable stock; 1 cup coconut milk; 2-3 tbsp smooth peanut butter; 1/2 tsp cumin & coriander powder; Salt, pepper & chili powder to taste. (I used a hot green chili powder).
  • Saute the vegetables in a tbsp of olive oil in the soup pot. Season.
  • Add stock, water as needed and the peanuts. Bring to a boil.
  • Reduce heat and simmer till the vegetables are tender.
  • Puree with a blender and dilute with  more stock for preferred consistency.
  • Whisk the peanut butter and coconut milk together, add to the pureed soup.
  • Adjust seasoning, cook for a few more minutes.
  • If serving immediately, garnish with roasted peanuts.
I know everyone else needs to add more salt to it than what I used. The soup was super simple, low-stress for making quite a few servings and has frozen wonderfully.

I am sending this soup to "Winter Warmers" hosted by The Veggie Hut and to MLLA #31 hosted by Briciole.

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of a soup swap in the middle of a cold winter. I also like the color of your soup: very cheerful. I am sure it was comforting. Thank you for contributing it to MLLA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Simona for hosting :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments, we appreciate them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...