April 26, 2010

Venezuelan Coconut Rice Pudding

A dessert from the coastal regions of Venezuela with an abundance of fresh coconut ~ this rice pudding was another recipe from Global Vegetarian Cooking by Troth Wells. I made this pudding last night, when I had my lab mates over for dinner. I veered away from the original version a little bit. The pudding turned out to be awesome: not too sweet, smooth and with a little bite from grated lemon rinds. Everyone had seconds and made me happy :)

I used one cup of parboiled rice, and cooked it with one cup of water till the water is almost used up. Add about 1/2 cup of fresh grated coconut. Then I added 1/2 a can of sweetened condensed milk (instead of regular milk & sugar) and a 1/4 tsp of cinnamon. I let the mixture boil and let it cool. I pureed it coarsely in a blender and poured the mixture back into the pan, mixed with about 1/2 cup of milk and the rest of the sweetened condensed milk, cook for a few minutes. Mix in a 1/4 tsp of grated lemon rind, saving a little for garnish. Chill & serve!

2 comments:

  1. What a simple and delicious dessert, especially in those cute cups.

    I am enjoying learning about dishes from around the world!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments, we appreciate them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...