May 25, 2010

Mango Peda for a crowd

For a recent get-together at one of my colleague's house, I had to make dessert and with the little time I had, needed to put together something quick and easy, but that can serve abut 40 people. Hence I adapted the Mango Peda recipe from Red Chillies and changed the quantity to make about 40 pedas. They were yummy and were such a big hit for the evening. However, it was not a quick recipe though. Next time, if I am making this, I would opt for a stove-top version than the microwave version. 


I used about a pound of ricotta cheese and whisked into it 5 cups of sweetened mango pulp. I also used about 1/2 cup more powdered sugar [my husband didn't think it was sweet enough, so may be add more sugar as per taste]. I also used 1 cup of shredded coconut, 1/4 tsp of cardamom powder, a pinch of saffron and some finely chopped pistachio nuts. Basically you have to cook all this down (under high heat) to a consistency where it can be molded. It took a lot longer in the microwave, as mine is a 1000 watts one and couldn't run for longer than 10-15 minutes without taking a small break. Also, the quantity made a big difference for the cooking time. Anyways, once they were shaped, for the final garnish instead of using nuts, I melted a portion of a mango-chili chocolate bar with a little bit of milk and used the coulis. They were perfect for the potluck!

I am sending this to Nupur's Blog Bites #3: The Adaptation Edition.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...