May 26, 2010

Russian Mushroom & Potato Soup

A very simple Russian peasant soup made with mushrooms and potatoes was a big part of today's dinner. I used the recipe from The Russian Heritage Cookbook by Lynn Visson for inspiration and adapted it to the ingredients I had. 

Basically, I sautéed chopped Morel mushrooms and portabella mushrooms in olive oil & butter. When the mushrooms were cooking, I also added a small chopped onion. In another pan, I heated about 4 cups of water and added 1/2 cup of rice. Once the onions turned soft, I added the mushrooms and a chopped red potato to the boiling rice. Seasoned with salt and pepper, and let it cook till the rice and potatoes were done. Served with a dollop of yogurt. The soup was very earthy and the meaty texture from the mushrooms made it delicious. 


I am sending this recipe to A.W.E.D. Russian hosted by RV, started by DK of Chef in You.

1 comment:

  1. This soup is not very pleasing on the eyes!! lol! but i bet it is really good for you so I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments, we appreciate them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...