July 6, 2010

Brazilian Rice in my new Le Creuset

Celebrating our fourth wedding anniversary last week, Shankar totally surprised me with a Le Creuset 5 1/2 Qrt Dutch oven! And we had our friends Brooke and John visit from Nebraska and spend the weekend with us. We had an awesome time, my only regret being that I didnt get a chance to cook a good meal for them. I made pancakes and french toast for breakfast and rava dosas stuffed with cheese for dinner one day, but that was it. I was hoping to use my new pot for making something yummy.



And I did make two yummy dishes tonight in the new pot. First I made a Brazilian rice, inspired by this recipe. In the pot, I added a tsp of butter and a tsp of olive oil. To this I added 1/2 a chopped onion and 2 cloves of minced garlic and let it cook. Then I added 1/2 chopped tomato. Once the tomatoes were soft, I added 2.5 cups of water and brought it to a boil. To this I added 1 tsp of vegetarian broth powder and seasoned with salt and pepper. Once the broth was boiling, I added 1 cup of rice and cooked under high heat for 5 minutes and simmered it for another 5. The rice turned out to be very flavorful but in a subtle way and not over power the accompanying curry. Perfectly cooked flavorful rice garnished with chives = Yummy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments, we appreciate them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...