July 10, 2011

Jamaican Sweet Potato Curry

For the last few months, things have been pretty busy and its been a while since I have written about a dish I made for my Cooking the World Challenge. That doesn't mean I haven't been cooking :) I just need to catch up on writing! Here is a recipe that I made last year, adapted from Fork Fingers Chopsticks. This Jamaican curry is loaded with yummy spices and we loved it. I served it with my Brazilian Rice. The combination of this curry with the rice was delish! 


Ingredients: Japanese White Sweet Potatoes - 2 diced; Green Beans - 1/4 pound chopped; Coconut milk - 1/2 cup; Onion - 1/2 diced; Ginger & Garlic - 1tsp minced; A mixture of the following spices - whole or ground: Cardamom pods, Cinnamon, Cloves. Ground: Cumin, Coriander - 2 tsps; Cayenne pepper - 1/2 tsp; Salt - according to taste; Bay leaf -1; Cilantro - for garnish.
  • Saute the cardamom pods, cloves and cinnamon stick in a tsp of butter, to release the aroma.
  • Add the onion, ginger, garlic and saute till the onions are soft.
  • Add the ground spices - cumin, coriander, pepper, salt. 
  • Once the spices are a little heated, add the sweet potatoes, beans and the coconut milk. Add water as needed.
  • Add the bay leaf, bring the pot to a boil, and simmer till the vegetables are tender. Adjust seasoning.
  • Garnish with cilantro and serve over rice!
I think an easy version of this dish would be using pre-mixed spices like Garam Masala or Kitchen King. but then the Jamaican-ness might be lost :)

*********************************************
I am catching up on my reading too, the two books I am currently keeping busy with are: In hard-copy, picked up from Goodwill Stores: A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah. And in my Kindle: Fatal System Error: The Hunt for the New Crime Lords Who Are Bringing Down the Internet by Joseph Menn. Whats on your reading list?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments, we appreciate them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...