December 13, 2010

Ethiopian Gomen ~ Stewed Collard Greens

As the end of the year approaches, I am scrambling to finish off a list of things both at work and at home. New Year = new things to do! And on the blog front, I want to catch up on the posts from my Cooking the World. In 2010, though I didn't get to finish making a recipe from all the independent countries of the world, I am a little more than half-way through. However, posting all the recipes? Hmm!

We have never had Ethiopian Gomen at a restaurant before. Its such a simple recipe, adapted from here. I modified the recipe for Niter Kebbeh - seasoned ghee. Basically, I chopped up the collard greens (from the farmer's market), wilted them in the microwave with a little water. In my sauté pan, I melted a tbsp of ghee, added a pinch of cardamom, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Let it simmer for a few minutes before adding 1/2 a chopped onion, couple of slit serrano peppers, a clove of minced garlic, a pinch of turmeric. Once the onions were soft, I added the greens and let it cook for a few more minutes. I kind of overdid the peppers as the Gomen turned out to be a lot more hotter than we wanted. Not so hot that serving it with yogurt couldn't take care of!

Gomen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments, we appreciate them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...