January 3, 2011

Shakshouka from Israel

Cooking through a few of the middle eastern countries for dinner last week, I put together a mezze with hummus, pita, eggplant in a yogurt sauce, shakshouka and baklava for dessert. This dish was pretty interesting  and is adapted from the book Food of Israel - Authentic recipes from the land of milk and honey. The author mentions traveling to Jaffa to learn how to make this dish perfect - fried peppers and tomatoes and eggs. I don't think mine turned out to be perfect, but it was really good. I am not sure how to fold in egg whites and let it cook without  them being visible! 


I fried 3 chopped green chilies in oil, added 3 cloves of minced garlic, 2 roasted red peppers (diced) and 2 small diced tomatoes. The mixture was then seasoned with salt, pepper and 1/2 tsp of paprika. Once the vegetables were cooked, I added first the egg whites and folded it in, then slid the yolks on top. I did let the yolks cook well too, though the recipe called for them to be soft. Another way of having tomatoes & eggs, cooked fast. I am sure this one is going to be a regular at our home!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments, we appreciate them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...