July 25, 2011

Beans & Plantains from Burundi

During my recent searches for recipes from around the world I found another fellow blogger working her way around the world. Here is a recipe I adapted from her website, a simple Beans and Plantain stew. The plantain I used was a little ripe and complemented the spice deliciously. 


Ingredients: Plantain - 1 - sliced; Red Kidney Beans - 2 cups soaked for a few hours; Onion - 1 sliced thin; Chili powder - 1/4 tsp; Plantain Powder - 1 tsp - to thicken (optional) ; Salt - to taste;
  • In a pressure cooker, add a tsp of oil and saute the onions. . 
  • Once soft, add the beans and plantains.
  • Add chili powder, adjust salt and add enough water.
  • Cook till the beans are tender. 
  • Thicken the stew if needed. I served this with chapatis and rice. 
I am also sending this dish to MLLA #37, as the event is starting it's 4th year. Congratulations to Susan of The Well Seasoned Cook for starting and hosting this month's event!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments, we appreciate them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...