June 28, 2012

Maple, Dates & Pecan Scones

One of the first thing I do when I go to work is to throw scones in the oven for 13 minutes and ice them. Yesterday was my day off and what do I do first thing in the morning? Bake a batch of delish scones and glaze them! I love my work :)

I have a standard scone dough recipe - the most simplest - I think it was adapted from the Joy of Baking. I then add whatever flavors I think of to this basic recipe. I use my food processor in making the dough, and add the buttermilk or cream as I keep mixing and hence no standard measure for this ingredient. 



Ingredients (for 8 scones): Flour - 2 cups (I use a mixture of all-purpose, whole wheat and whatever else I find appealing); Sugar - 1/2 cup (brown, white, fine); Butter - 5 or 6 tbsp; Baking powder - 1 tsp; Baking soda - 1 tsp; Salt - 1/4 tsp; Dates & Pecans - 1 cup (chopped); Maple syrup - 2 tbsp; Buttermilk or Cream - as needed.

  • Pre-heat the oven to 375F
  • In the food processor add all the dry ingredients (except the dates and pecans) and pulse a few times 
  • Add the butter, sliced into small pieces and pulse till the dough is crumbly
  • Add maple syrup, run the processor and slowly add the buttermilk till the dough is soft, but not wet
  • Add the dates / pecans, pulse once of twice and transfer the dough to cutting board
  • Shape into a large round and slice into 8 pieces or use a mold. Sprinkle some sugar on top
  • Bake till golden (15 - 20 minutes)!
  • For the maple glaze, I mixed powdered sugar with maple syrup and a little water - heated for 30 seconds in the microwave and brushed on top of the scones.

Now there is healthy breakfast to go for the rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments, we appreciate them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...