April 28, 2010

Peruvian Papas a la Huancaína

Potatoes in a cheesy sauce, garnished with hard-boiled eggs! An awesome appetizer to the start of a wonderful meal. It disappeared so fast from the table, making me wish I had made a lot more of it. Generally served as a main dish in parts of Peru, it is better served a little cold, giving time for the flavors in the cheesy sauce to seep into the potatoes. 

I used red potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size chunks. The potatoes were boiled with a little salt and spread on a platter. In a blender, I mixed together a chunk of feta cheese, two tbsp of my green Skhug, a little salt and pepper, 2 cloves of garlic, 2 tsp of stone-ground mustard, milk as needed and a few kracker-jacks (saltines). The skhug made the cheesy sauce spicy along with the 'heat' of the mustard. Pour this Huancaina\auce over the potatoes, and top with sliced hard-boiled eggs. I sprinkled some parsley on top and let the dish sit for about 30 minutes. Yummy :)

1 comment:

  1. The dish is so pretty! I like the formation of the eggs!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments, we appreciate them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...