Another dish from the archives! I made this stew when I was visiting Shankar in St. Louis last year. This is a simple stew with few ingredients, and if made with peanuts, is the national dish of Chad. I adapted the recipe from here, and used calabaza squash and black beans instead of peanuts. I used a little peanut butter to thicken the stew and served it with creme fraiche.
Ingredients: Calabaza squash - 1/2 pound, cut into cubes; Black Beans - 1 can - rinsed and drained; Peanut Butter - 1tbsp; Curry Powder - 1 tsp; Salt - to taste; sugar - to taste (optional).
- Boil squash in water with a little salt.
- Remove excess water after 5 minutes or so, add the beans, salt, curry powder.
- Once the squash is tender, add the peanut butter.
- Add sugar to taste if needed.
- Simmer for a few minutes to blend flavor and serve!